Sunday, July 6, 2014

Summertime

After spending some time in Wisconsin visiting family, we stopped in Sheridan to help crew and pace Evan in the Bighorn 100.  Evan didn't have the best day on the trail and ended up dropping out after 30ish miles.  I was going to run 50 miles with him, so it was a bummer I didn't get to do that, but it was an even bigger bummer for him.

So, after getting back home to Lander it was time to really get after it and starting training hard again for  the races coming up, which of course means some Wind River Mountain Running.

Pinto Park

I started with a 12-mile run up Roaring Fork Pass, and then the next day a 26 mile run to Pinto Park.  The view of the Cirque of the Towers from Pinto Park never gets old.  I got stormed on a little bit, but otherwise it was a good run.

Next was a run to Wind River Peak.  Ideally, I wanted to get up the mountain because the forecast was perfect, but I knew snow conditions would make that challenging.  I also picked the most elevation intensive route to Wind River Peak, trying to get my legs some more vertical in preparation for the Telluride Mountain Run and The Rut.  So, I just made too slow of progress to get to the summit of the 13,192 foot mountain in a reasonable amount of time.  But, the 31-mile effort took me to the Ice Lakes and Deep Creek Lakes, still some of my favorite places to run.

Slow going on the trail to the Deep Creek Lakes

Tayo walking the line

A sign of summertime

Wind River Peak cirque

How embarrasing: a "selfie".  Proof that I was there.
Just a few days after my jaunt to Wind River Peak, I headed over to the western side of the range to Big Sandy.  I did a 23-mile run to the still very snowy alpine terrain of Clear Lake, Deep Lake, Temple Lake, and Temple Pass.

Deep Lake, with East Temple Peak and Temple Peak

Temple Peak, from Temple Pass

Snowfields down Temple Pass to Temple Lake

Big rock with some snow

The other very exciting event in June was Jenny running the Northfork 50 mile race.  She had a lot of knee pain after Zion, and basically didn't run at all for three weeks, but then really went for it at Northfork.

No pain, no gain?
At mile 32, Jenny was in real pain, and I could tell some self-doubt was creeping in.  She re-fueld, took off, and soldiered on.  I was fearful it might be a while until I saw her at the next aid station.  But man was I wrong.  She had an amazing rally; she picked up her speed, and held a strong and steady effort to the finish.  A very experienced ultra runner, Rick Rochelle, told me before the Bear 100 to remember that "things always get better".  I've believed him, and so far its held to be true, and Jenny's gutsy run was just another example of this mantra being true.
Finishing strong



All smiles at the end
 This was technically Jenny's first "ultra marathon" race, and there was an award for the first place "first time ultra runner" which Jenny picked up with a time of 10:52.

Lastly, we celebrated the 4th of July in Lander, which is about he coolest party ever.

Lander Fireworks: We take this shit seriously.  Photo by Bryce Giesmann

Lander Pioneer Days Rodeo


No comments:

Post a Comment